My Top 10 Favorite Rom-coms

By mikaeladelcatty - 8:02 PM

Today I sat down and thought about movies that I've watched, in particular all the rom-coms that I've watched.
I, being an obsessive organizer myself, keep a list of movies that I've watched; it's one of my hobbies I guess, so after looking through my list, I thought I could talk a little bit about my top ten favorite rom-coms, that mostly, are from the 2000s.
I hope you'll enjoy, and hopefully you'll watch some of these recommendations by yours truly.

1. When Harry Met Sally (1989)




At the first place we have a classic, a movie that I utterly love from 1989, starring Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal, Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby. It's based in New York, which I love. There's nothing that I despise in this movie, it's just perfect, from the characters to the places and events.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
In 1977, college graduates Harry Burns (Billy Crystal) and Sally Albright (Meg Ryan) share a contentious car ride from Chicago to New York, during which they argue about whether men and women can ever truly be strictly platonic friends. Ten years later, Harry and Sally meet again at a bookstore, and in the company of their respective best friends, Jess (Bruno Kirby) and Marie (Carrie Fisher), attempt to stay friends without sex becoming an issue between them.

2. Just Married (2003)



The second movie is something very close to my heart; I remember watching this movie on TV when I was about 9 years old and laughing so hard.
Two of my favorite actors are in this movie, Brittany Murphy and Ashton Kutcher, and their performances are stunning in this movie.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
Tom (Ashton Kutcher) and Sarah (Brittany Murphy) are two lovebirds from different worlds. He's an average guy with a fondness for beer who works a low-level job, while she's an aspiring writer from a wealthy and cultured family. The disapproval of family and friends doesn't prevent the pair from marrying, but their disastrous honeymoon in Italy, with an unwelcome appearance by Sarah's ex-boyfriend, Peter (Christian Kane), nearly succeeds in tearing them apart.

3. Monster-In-Law (2005)



Next we have a movie that will make you laugh so hard you will not be able to breathe. I love the actors in this movie, I couldn't choose anyone else to play their part.
Starring the lovely Jennifer Lopez, Jane Fonda and Michael Vartan.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
Charlotte (Jennifer Lopez) is smitten when she meets Dr. Kevin Fields (Michael Vartan). So when Kevin pops the question after they start dating, Charlotte happily accepts. But she soon realizes that Kevin's mom, Viola (Jane Fonda), is not quite thrilled to have a new family member. Viola, a newscaster, has just lost her job and is feeling rather attached to Kevin, so she regards Charlotte as her new competition -- and will apparently do anything to make her son call off the wedding.

4. A Lot Like Love (2005)



This movie is also special for my heart cause I watched it for the first time with my girlfriend, and it became one of our favorite movies ever, I know, very cheesy, but it's the truth.
Starring Ashton Kutcher, again, and the lovely Amanda Peet.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
When Oliver (Ashton Kutcher) and Emily (Amanda Peet) meet on an airplane, they feel an instant connection, but agree that they're wrong for each other. As the years pass and they live their separate lives, fate brings them together several times, and they become close friends. Any time one of them wants more out of the relationship, the other seems content with just being friends. If they wait too long, Oliver and Emily may miss any chance of spending their lives together.

5. Serendipity (2001)




I've got a huge crush on John Cusack, every character that he plays is so lovely; and Kate Beckinsale looks absolutely gorgeous in this movie, well, she always does look gorgeous though.
This movie made me think a lot. If you believe in destiny and love rom-coms, I guess this movie would be one of your favorites.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
On a magical night when they are in in their 20s, Jonathan (John Cusack) meets Sara (Kate Beckinsale). He finds it love at first sight, but Sara believes in destiny. After 10 years the two -- with 3,000 miles between them -- must decide if fate wants them to be together again. When love feels like magic, it is called destiny; when destiny has a sense of humor, it is serendipity.

6. The Wedding Planner (2001)




Another movie that I first watched when I was very young. I fell in love with both Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey, which I, by the way, always thought they looked so cute together.
This movie is based in San Francisco and it's absolutely lovely; I fell in love with Mary's apartment immediately.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
While celebrating her newest and most lucrative account -- the wedding of Internet tycoon Fran Donelly (Bridgette Wilson-Sampras) -- Mary (Jennifer Lopez) is rescued from a near-fatal collision with a runaway dumpster by handsome pediatrician Steve Edison (Matthew McConaughey). After spending the most enchanting evening of their lives together, Mary thinks she's finally found a reason to believe in love. What she doesn't know is that cupid and her career are about to collide head-on.

7. It's Complicated (2009)



This is such a lovely movie. I aspire to be as inspiring as Meryl Streep; this woman is truly a goddess. I just loved everything about this movie, and actually felt 'homesick' watching it for different reasons. My favorite scene is definitely the one where Jane shows Steve how to make croissants, so adorable - and delicious.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
Jane (Meryl Streep), a successful restaurateur, has been divorced from Jake (Alec Baldwin) for many years, although they remain friends. When an innocent meal together turns into an affair, Jane finds that she is the other woman in the now-remarried Jake's life. Meanwhile, Adam (Steve Martin), an architect hired to remodel her kitchen, is still stinging from his own divorce. He finds himself falling in love with Jane but soon realizes that he has become part of a triangle.

8. No Strings Attached (2011)



Another movie starring Ashton Kutcher, I know; but Natalie Portman was the reason why I watched this movie, cause your girl got a huge crush on this lady. What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic and this movie is one of the reasons why.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
Lifelong friends Emma (Natalie Portman) and Adam (Ashton Kutcher) take their relationship to the next level by having sex. Afraid of ruining their friendship, the new lovers make a pact to keep things purely physical, with no fighting, no jealousy and no expectations. Emma and Adam pledge to do whatever they want, wherever they want, as long as they do not fall in love. The question then becomes: Who will fall first?

9. Stuck In Love (2012)



This was one of the first movies that ever touched my heart, deeply. I cried so much the first time I watched it, and I think it was because I felt like I needed to hear some things from the movie at a certain age. This movie is very, very close to my heart.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
An acclaimed writer (Greg Kinnear), his ex-wife (Jennifer Connelly), and their teenaged children (Lily Collins, Nat Wolff) come to terms with the complexities of love in all its forms over the course of one tumultuous year.

10.  Something's Gotta Give (2003)



Another fantastic movie with actors that I utterly love. This movie is perfect to watch at home alone, or in company, eating some ice cream or anything sweet. It's such a lovely movie that will put you in a great mood after watching it, you can trust yours truly.
Here's the plot if you've never watched it and would like to:
When aging womanizer Harry Sanborn (Jack Nicholson) and his young girlfriend, Marin (Amanda Peet), arrive at her family's beach house in the Hamptons, they find that her mother, dramatist Erica Barry (Diane Keaton), also plans to stay for the weekend. Erica is scandalized by the relationship and Harry's sexist ways. But when Harry has a heart attack, and a doctor (Keanu Reeves) prescribes bed rest at the Barry home, he finds himself falling for Erica -- who, for once, may be out of his league.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments